Monday is my absolute favorite day of the week. I could write a whole post as to why happy Mondays are the hidden secret to ultimate happiness and success, but I’ll save that for later. I know that’s not the easiest pill to swallow after an amazing weekend, which I hope all of you had. However, my number one favorite thing about Mondays is that hardly ANYONE else seems to like them. It makes me sad when I see people walking around with those “I hate Mondays” shirts because it’s basically like you’re setting yourself up for a crappy week that just began. Carpe diem people! Seize the day before it’s gone!
… Ok, I’m finished with my mini rant. Anyways, what better way to ring in this new week than with a freshly blended smoothie filled with super foods and seeds? Kale, as most already know (I say this because there’s a huge kale bandwagon frenzy currently sweeping the nation), is a powerhouse of an ingredient and does wonders for your digestive system, brain, energy levels, bones, skin and the list goes on. To read more about the amazing benefits of kale, check out this article. Kale is not only good for you but is also one of the most versatile superfoods out there. Use it to make salads, chips, stir-fries, soups, as a condiment and, of course, in smoothies! A word of caution- I promise kale smoothies won’t taste like a veggie garden only if you pair the right ingredients together.
I’ve also begun to up my protein intake by adding a healthy, refined sugar-free protein powder called Vega One Protein & Greens into my diet. This vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, non-gmo plant-based protein powder that Costco recently started selling is packed with 20 g of protein, two servings of greens and is only 110 calories per scoop. Oh, and did I mention it tastes great?! I highly recommend you check it out!
I know this recipe combo sounds a little out of whack, especially with the lime + PB pair, but you’d be surprised with how refreshing and hearty this mix will be. Ready to hear the details? Here’s the gist:
Serves 1 in a Magic Bullet Mixer
- 1 large handful of kale (about 1 1/2- 2 cups)- $1.99, 10 oz. bag @ Trader Joe’s (I also recommend buying a couple bundles a week at your local farmer’s market to support local businesses)
- 1/2-2/3 cup frozen mango- $2.99, 8 oz bag @ Trader Joe’s (I buy my frozen fruit in smaller portions because I have a tiny dorm fridge, but feel free to save and buy bulk fruit from Costco)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice- prices may vary
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk- $9.20, 6 32 oz boxes @ Costco
- 1/2 scoop vanilla Vega One Protein& Greens protein powder- $29.99, 26.8 oz @ Costco
- 1 Tbs PB 2 original powdered peanut butter– $13.99, 2 16 oz jars @ Amazon.com
- 1 tsp chia seeds- $8.99, 1 lb. bag @ Costco
- Place kale in bottom of cup first (a good rule of thumb when making smoothies is that your smoothie should be at least 1/2 veggies and 1/2 everything else to avoid a high sugar content).
- Add PB 2 and Vega One powders (this prevents them from getting stuck to the blade versus adding them last).
- Add mango and lime juice, almond milk and chia seeds.
- Screw on blade lid, place on blender base and blend until creamy smooth! If you have a better blender, by all means go ahead and use it, but if you’re using the Magic Bullet it will take a little more shaking and time compared to better blenders like the Vitamix.
- Unscrew lid, add your favorite smoothie toppings (I’m hooked to the new Trader Joe’s Super Seed and Ancient Grain Blend mix, just $4.99, 8 oz bag, and topped my smoothie with 1 Tbs of it) and enjoy!
Who said Mondays can’t be just as amazing as a Friday? It’s all about perspective, and I hope this smoothie can be a small aid in changing your Monday madness into Monday magic.
To health infinity and beyond!