And here comes another one of my new creations! I decided to make these delicious things before my family and I went on a trip to visit relatives on Maui knowing that I would be the only health freak around who doesn’t like to eat only sausage, eggs and rice for breakfast haha. And of course, I made more than enough to give to all of my family to see if it would pass their test. It doesn’t get any more perfect than having a great recipe and great company to share it with. Ready for more?
Here’s the gist:
- 2 cups of orange sweet potato boiled, mashed and cooled (1 large potato, can sub with Okinawan sweet potato and it comes out just as yummy)- prices may vary
- 2 ground flax eggs (2 Tbs ground flax seed + 1/3 cup water mixed and set aside to rest for 5 minutes)- $2.69 a bag @ Trader Joe’s
- 1 Tbs raw honey- prices may vary (I buy my honey raw at my local farmer’s market because it’s not tampered with using heat and supports the pollination of the local Hawaiian plants. I suggest you do the same, it may break your budget a little but it’s totally worth the health benefits!)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon- 99 cents a bottle @ 99 Cent Store
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice- 99 cents a bottle @ most grocery stores
- 1/4 cup coconut flour- $2.99 1 lb bag @ Trader Joe’s
- 2 Tbs chia seeds- $9.99 1 lb bag @ Costco
- 2 Tbs hemp seeds- $12.56 1 lb bag @ Amazon.com
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees f.
- In a stand up mixer, combine all of your ingredients together (don’t forget to mix the flax eggs and let them rest for 5 minutes prior to adding them to the mix!)
- Scoop 1/4 cup of the batter into each muffin cup in a normal size muffin pan (12 total in a normal size muffin pan)
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Make sure to stick a tooth pick in the center of your muffins to make sure it comes out clean and the muffins have baked all the way through.
- Let the muffins rest for 5-10 minutes, serve with your favorite nut butter and ENJOY!
My limitations are a little less-vexing now that I’m home in Hawai‘i and have access to my handy-dandy KitchenAid mixer, Vitamix blender and standard oven and stove, but all my recipes are still their healthy, affordable and delicious selves! Stay tuned for more amazing eats to come.
To health infinity and beyond!