College and all its inevitable baggage has definitely been getting the best of me. Luckily this week has been granting me some breathing room and I can finally take a moment to share this wonderful creation of mine with the amazing world I haven’t really seen in the past few weeks (or the few of you who so lovingly appreciate my thoughts and words, thank you bunches for that by the way). To my very pleasant surprise, my FAVORITE (and only) sister sent me one of the greatest care packages of all time containing one whole pound of one of my all-time favorite ingredients- pure 100% organic matcha green tea powder. YASSSSS! I love love LOVE green tea; it’s my favorite ice cream flavor, my favorite kind of tea and I can make some bomb a** cookies with it too (too bad those are not very healthy…). Here are some of the amazing health benefits of green tea, just to name a few:
- Very high in antioxidants
- Lowers cholesterol
- Boosts metabolism
- Improves hair and skin quality
- Can be used to manage diabetes
- Reduces stress and depression
The Japanese sure are on to something with this amazing powerhouse of an ingredient. Now there are only two problems with pure matcha powder- finding it and paying for it. Finding pure matcha powder, at least in a regular grocery store, can be fairly hard. They do have them at specialty asian stores like Daiso, Marukai and 99 Ranch, but I’ve found that the easiest and cheapest way to get your hands on a good quality powder is by ordering it online. Which brings me to my next point, cost. The one pound bag of powder my sister bought on Amazon for me costs $21.99. Now I know that number may be fairly intimidating for someone on my kind of budget (which is why I’m so thankful she got it for me hehe), but a smaller, approximately 4 oz pouch from the store it would unfortunately cost you around $6-8, so buying online is definitely the route to go. But once you have the magical green goodness, the possibilities are endless! Here’s a simple recipe I really enjoy that will be sure to please your tummy, budget and overall health happiness. Here’s the gist:
(Makes 1 latte)
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk- $1.79, box @ Trader Joe’s
- 1/4- 1/2 cup boiling water (depending on your desired consistency)
- 1 tsp matcha powder- $21.99, 1 lb bag @ Amazon.com
- 1-2 tsp honey- $3.69, bottle @ Trader Joe’s
- Place almond milk in a microwave-safe bowl and heat milk on high for 4-5 minutes (milk should be boiling and lightly frothy on the surface when finished).
- Place honey and matcha powder in a tea cup and lightly stir with a fork or spoon.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil (just to be sure you’ll have enough). I have a water boiler like this in my dorm, but you can use the good ‘ole pot over the stove technique if you want or even microwave the water to boiling temperature as well.
- Pour 1/4- 1/2 cup water into your tea cup and stir with matcha honey mixture well.
- Gently pour almond milk into your tea cup, let steep for a minute or so, and enjoy!
I love this recipe because it gives me just enough to satisfy my sweet tooth without overloading me with unwanted sugars and chemicals most desert treats give you. I definitely will be posting more matcha recipes with me new big bag of powder, so bare with me on my matcha binge because I promise it’ll be more than delicious.
To health infinity and beyond!